Saturday, June 18, 2011

Gimme that old time journalism


I've gone from producing a weekly half-hour newsmagazine to producing a one-hour daily in a matter of a few days with my new hire as senior producer for The Source with Ezra Levant on Sun News Network. It's been a massive learning curve, but a thrill filled with new challenges at every sharp turn.

At the end of my first week, I tweeted that I somehow managed to survive without any major meltdowns. I didn't cry. I didn't yell. I didn't throw a fit. Sure, there were many times I wanted to pass out from sheer exhaustion, or throw up from the fear of failing, but it seems I was born to thrive in this sort of intense deadline-driven environment, and I was quite proud I made it through without a breakdown.

A new colleague and the Senior Associate Editor at The Toronto Sun, replied to my tweet and reassured me that meltdowns aren't a sign of weakness. Rather, from his thread below, you can see a sort of romanticized version of the newsroom tweak-out.

While I'm grateful for the new opportunities provided for women in media (The New York Times recently hired its first female editor), I have a feeling I work in less interesting times when it comes to my field.

What I wouldn't give to have a larger than life, movie-version experience of old-school journalism. The age of No. 2 pencils, typewriters and phonebooks, polyester pants and male chauvinism. Ahhh...



Lorrie Goldstein
  Meltdowns are permitted if limited to 5 minutes and any flying objects avoid nearby heads. Always aim low.
Lorrie Goldstein
 Actually, I missed the "Bono threatens to destroy his crashing computer with a chair" incident of the 1980s.

("Bono" is the senior editorial writer for Sun Media. He's been with them since the 70's and has a gaudy gold ring to prove it.)

Lorrie Goldstein
 But I was there for the famous "Blatchford's flying stapler" episode that kicked off the new millenium.

("Blatchford" is one of Canada's greatest when it comes to print journalism. In fact, I consider her a hero in my field.)



Lorrie Goldstein
 Then there was the time no one warned me in advance we were endorsing the Grits in the '87 Ontario election. I didn't aim low.

(Americans, the "Grits" are the Liberals in this country. So you can understand the gravity of the situation.)


Lorrie Goldstein
 We had a city editor who jumped on his desk and shouted: "C'MON, YOU BASTARDS, WRITE!" at us. Gave him a whip when he retired.

'Nuff said. 

No comments: